Literary criticism and literary theory are an important part of Literature, along with the study of various pieces of writing. The study of them is way more complex than the others therefore students studying the same may require assignment help while dealing with the topic. Visit Job Search in the UK if you need job in any field. Read about Poststructuralism Fashion And Literature below.
Poststructuralism is the term used to refer to a wide variety of critical perspectives that in the 1970s replaced structuralism from its prominence, as an innovative way of dealing with the language and other signifying systems.
Jacques Derrida’s paper on the Structure, Sign and Play in the Discourse of Human Sciences, conveyed the post structural point of view.
Derrida directly attacked the concepts stated by Saussure on the structure of language as well as systematic and quasi-systematic pretensions of the strict form of structuralism stated by him. In Saussure’s theory of language, the center is assigned the function of controlling the endless differential play of internal relationships while it itself remained out of the play. Study help me is one such platform where you can get more information about this interesting topic.
The meaning conveyed is not stable and depends upon the interpreter rather than the structure itself. There are multiple meanings and truths conveyed in post structuralism. The sole reality that is represented is through the language of minds. Above all, poststructuralists are interested in the differences in truth rather than the meaning of the universal truth. One may sometimes see that post structural is used interchangeably with postmodern. But there are certain salient features shared by diverse types of post structural thoughts, which must be remembered by students for effective assignment help.
1. The very first feature of post structural work is the primacy of theory. Since the time of Aristotle and Plato, the discourse about poetry has involved a theory in the traditional sense of conceptual scheme or principles for classifying, analyzing and evaluating works of literature. In post structural criticism the concept of theory came to be foregrounded in a way that many theorists felt necessary to theorize their individual practices.
2. The second feature is the decentering of the subject. This refers to the traditional view that the human being or human author has a coherent identity that has some purpose or initiative. One example of this is the concept of death of the author given by Roland Barthes as well as an opposite view given by Michel Foucault. While the former suggested that while reading a particular piece of work or research paper writing, the author of the work should not be kept in mind so that one can have an impartial reading of the concept mentioned by the author, while the latter suggested that an author is essential to the reading of a particular piece of work so that the reader can have a proper understanding of the ideas conveyed by the author.
3. The third feature is that of reading, texts, and writing. Post the deletion or the decentering of the author, the reader is left as the focal figure in post structural accounts of signifying practices. This figure is stripped of the traditional attributes or initiative and purposiveness and converted into the impersonal process known as reading.
While we read, it is no more known as reading of a literary work but reading of a text, that is regarded as the structure of signifiers regarded merely as given for the reading process. In turn texts lose their identity and are often represented as manifestations of ecriture. The post structural view always takes into consideration that no text can mean what it seems to say. The important point as part of Poststructuralism Fashion And Literature.
4. The concept of discourse is the fourth feature. The literary critics had since long used the term discourse, especially in the passages that represented the conversations between characters in literary work. In the 1970s, the term discourse analysis was developed in the arena of critical practice. This discourse analysis itself focused on conversational exchanges.
This type of discourse includes the literary discourse conducted by the human characters who engage in dynamic interchange of beliefs, attitudes and sentiments. In the post structural criticism, discourse has become an important term in supplementing text and the name for the verbal material which is the primary concern of literary criticism.
However, in the post structural usage, the term is not confined to passages of conversational nature but also includes all verbal constructions and implies the superficiality of the boundaries between literary and non-literary modes of signification.
5. The poststructuralist theory states that in text means what it seems to say or what its writer intends to say. But deconstruction theorists say that text serves as a disguise for the intended meaning of the writer.
Both the social and the psychoanalytic critics of discourse, interpret the manifest meanings of a text as a distortion, displacement or total occlusion of its real meanings.
6. Many structural theorists propose or assume an extreme form of both evaluative and cognitive relativism.
The prime importance to the theory in post structural criticism, has evoked theoretical challenges from several theorists who, in their research paper writings have contested against this stand. These theorists were of the opinion that mere accounts of interpretation in general could not serve the purpose of actual practice of interpretation. Thus, they come to a conclusion that all theory must come to an end.
Therefore, all in all post structuralism suggests that power is embedded in the language itself and the language creates certain order as well as discrepancies. According to them, social institutions are nothing but language and texts. The important point as part of Poststructuralism Fashion And Literature.
To sum up, this movement of post structuralism developed in France as an opposition against structuralism. It stated that theory and reality are interrelated and are separate.
The points mentioned above, on the theories of post structuralism, formed a very important component of the theory and are sufficient enough to offer assignment help to the students working on literary theory and criticism. The points can further be supplemented by the addition of various other theories by the post structuralist which further justify the theory or time say the movement.
Read about “Understanding Poststructuralism Fashion And Literature”